Wednesday, October 20, 2004

awol

OK, I am still alive, I do still like my blog and intend to write some stuff on it. I have been having the lost week in terms of blog posts but I'm about to try and rectify the silence. So, flew into DC last time I wrote a post, had a few hours sleep and then waited for David to get out of classes to start the driving down to Nashville. 13 driving hours later, with the purchase of cowboy boots a serious consideration, arrived in Nashville and went out for some drinks, kareoke (witnessing of, not actually doing), and general country music overload which was cool. Saturday morning, headed about 2 1/2 hrs south to Lawrenceburg to be a very random guest at the wedding of my friend Rich, my downstairs neighbour in France and attempted not to surprise him at an inopportune moment during the wedding. Succeeded, just. The giggles were only in evidence for a few seconds before proceedings started. Did get to talk to Rich & Molly for a little while late on in the reception and then found myself in what was possibly Lawrenceburg's only bar......did you know it's virtually impossible to buy your own drinks in that part of the world? ....and had a really good night. So nice when there's bands on instead of the usual. Makes
me feel like I actually am in a different part of the world. Went to the wedding brunch on the Sunday morning, some of the most beautiful houses around there, and then got back in the car and drove back up to nr Kingsport in Tennessee and spent the evening sitting outside round a fire on the side of a mountain.Been in DC since we got back last Monday night. Have taken a couple of wanders down the National Mall, to the new American Indian Museum, Art Gallery etc. and to the Kennedy Center for the free concerts. Yesterday took a five hour mammoth walk around Georgetown, have also been asked for directions practically everywhere I go, offered a very blank look as a response to all these questions, been out for a great Chinese (in Chinatown), people-watched in a cigar bar called Shellys Backroom, watched a couple of films, read a couple of books and am getting on a train to Charleston tonight so better sign off and look for somewhere to stay tomorrow night! Have a trip to bits of Georgia, Florida and New Orleans planned for the next couple of weeks. Am watching new reality show ab out losing weight. No surgery involved.....radio station in NZ was giving away cosmetic surgery in competitions, liposculpture, tooth veneers etc. None of that in this programme. I just heard someone say "Gawd I'm about to show America my man-boobs". Oooh and Sally, don't know how my big fat obnoxious fiance turned out as its already finished over here, but they're about to start "my big fat obnoxious boss"!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home