Friday, April 16, 2004

countdown

So, after the success of finding a contemporary artist that I liked at the Modern Art museum in Rio, I though I'd try out Santiago's modern art. This wasn't so much a mistake as a complete disaster! When I walked in I thought the display was under construction...it was that bad. And after being treated like a leper in a restaurant across the way (Atelier del Parque...had to practically chase a waitress down to give me a table, a menu, cutlery, my bill....don't bother with it) and being on the receiving end of a guilt trip from a suspiciously old looking "student" who wanted money to fund his education and tried to tell me that 10000 pesos was only $6 and therefore nothing to me because of my privileged background (!), I was a bit disappointed and kind of annoyed with Santiago. 10000 pesos is nearer $23, and there's nothing like a guilt trip to piss me off. Luckily the &%@!wit in question was moved on by the police whilst telling me to listen to my heart. Anyways, my afternoon was redeemed by the Museo de Bellas Artes, which is pretty impressive, and at present is filled with photography exhibition from ID mag, some of those old maps that get the shape of the continent completely wrong and therefore look cool, and a bit of modern weirdness that is considerably more impressive that the modern art museum next door. Had generally all round good afternoon on my own!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home