Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The first post of the brand new apple

Yes, I have been internetless for quite some time now, but this is the first post on the very shiny new apple iBook. I think I might love it. I was pretty impressed with the giant Tesco Extra and my first visit to Ikea....within three hours of moving to Edinburgh, thanks Becky for the trip, but this is like a new baby. And I haven't even looked at the ipod yet. Had my first class and got a student card yesterday. Next Monday I have a field trip to what will soon become a building site, but such is the nature of Urban Studies. I will probably spend the next couple of years looking at buildings that are about to be torn down, or big holes in the ground with the beginnings of foundations in them. Not so different from Douglas promenade then! There is a tiny flaw in the otherwise very perfect new dwelling. The place itself is lovely, I have a balcony, a nice bed, lovely wardrobes, lots of space for all the new electronic equipment that has recently entered my life in a big bang of wires and cables and USB (?) ports. My housemates are lovely too, we have a shared tendency towards TV and crisps, although this may change now I finally have classes to go to. However, our spiders are on the large side! And they are quick and they can run up the stairs. I am rubbish wiith spiders, too many legs if you ask me.
Spent last week somewhere near Loch Lomond, in Aberfoyle, staying at a beautiful place with Sally, a guy called Mike she met in Australia, and David came down for the last part of the week. We had much rain, warm rain luckily, but managed to plan to walk up Ben Lomond on the one day that there was not quite so much weather. Discovered many kinds of new alcohol and had some more haggis. Also fitted in a trip to Stirling castle, the Wallace Monument, Rob Roy's grave and the Ballaquhidder church which holds the bones of many of the clans MacGregor and MacLaurin, who seemed hell-bent on wiping each other out in the cruellest ways possible. Gory stories of arson and heads on sticks. So, looking forward to my next visitors for more trips and touristy things. Seeing a temp agency today to talk about earning some much-needed money, picking up my grant cheque this week too (well-deserved free money) and also playing with the new toys.